Ode To Abu

Tuesday 9 April 2013

H for H-E-A-T!


This blog post is part of the A to Z Challenge. This challenge involves writing a blog post on any topic/theme in the order of the alphabets from A-Z. The blog posts have to be written each day through the entire month of April, excluding Sundays.

My chosen theme is the city of Chennai - sights, sounds, tastes, its happenings, events, and my memories and experiences connected with this place.
Week 2 of the A-Z Blogging Challenge gets down! And I'm totally feeling the heat...in more ways than one! :/

H is for Chennai's blistering #$%**@@!! heat! If Captain Haddock of Tintin fame was to set sail and dock here during the summer, we'd hear a slew of sailor cusses in his inimitable style! "Billions of blue blistering barnacles...this scorching summer is not helping my itchy beard...I might have to shave it off!" - or so I would imagine is what he would have said. 

Even the most thinnest, airiest cotton clothing will make you feel like you're all togged up in winter gear in the height of summer. The months of April and May see showers - of a different kind. Technically, there is no point having a shower (or a few a day), since the moment you step out of the bath, you're sweating again. No exaggeration. If you think going out in the evenings might be a good idea, think again. Sultry evenings only make you sweat that much more, that too when you're dressed up and out. All that effort for nothing!

Come mid-May and you are dealing with Agninakshatram or the hottest month of the year here. All my vacations during school days were at this time here, go figure! The mangoes dipped in chilli powder and oil from my grandfather's mango tree actually helped cool me down. :D

And if I'm writing about the weather (although Chennai's heat is a much talked about topic of conversation :P), its obvious I'm running out of ideas for this challenge and my brain is getting right royally fried from the heat! Of course, I'm feeling the 'heat' of the challenge! More so now that I hear Internet cabling is going to be redone where I live, which means no WiFi connectivity until the end of the month! Murphy luurrrvvveeesss me :/

Signing off in fanning frenzy! This blog could also do with some fans :D

25 comments:

  1. I'm feeling the heat from just reading your post. Wow... I don't think I would do well there. Here's to hoping you find some 'cool' relief. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen! Not feeling terribly optimistic right now :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...just realised..you are talking about the weather, and I'm talking about this challenge! LOL! I thought I'd gotten used to the weather by now, but I don't seem to be doing very well on that front either. Not sure if its a worser summer or just lower tolerance with age :P

      Delete
  3. Awww I miss that heat!!! its already spring here still the temperature reads as just 5 degrees :( I wish I was in Chennai right now :)

    Good post keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'm ready to exchange places! Passport please :D

      Delete
  4. Just found your blog via A to Z and am enjoying reading about Chennai!

    www.marie-everydaymiracle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate heat - period! Haha :)
    A-Z :)
    Bonniegwyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. 6 months old in Chennai and I have realized if this city has any other weather. Could not feel winter either. Other than this and probably communication issues I think I would get to know more about this "new city" for me to familiarize soon. Thanks for your posts on Chennai. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear my posts are giving you a perspective of the city. Do keep coming by. The heat grows on you, btw. NOT! :)

      Delete
  7. We have a dozen or so summer days in Saquarema that are just so hot, it's almost unbearable. It does fry the brain so I understand, its so hard to focus. Happy A to Z.
    maggie winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it Maggie. Happy A to Z to you too!

      Delete
  8. I surprise people in US walking around in single layer round neck shirts and shorts at 2 or 3 deg Celsius. Really miss the heat and humidity over here.

    ReplyDelete

  9. reading your blog and a you sure have a "fan" here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW Laju! Totally surprised to see you here! Thank you so much :D

      Delete
  10. I hate summer in Kerala! And have heard about the intensity of heat Chennai people tackle every year :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that does sound hot! Hope your internet connectivity gets sorted a lot sooner than the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete